Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pregnancy

Well, since I am starting this blog 5 months after Kara was born, I decided I would like to go back and take a look at my pregnancy. I never really wrote anything down, or kept track of anything while I was pregnant. It was such a special and important time in my life, so I would hate to not have it somewhat documented. Here are some of the highlights...



We found out we were expecting on December 1st, 2007. This was probably one of the happiest days of my life! I think I took 5 pregnancy tests over the next few days just to make sure it was real! I had woke up bright and early that Saturday morning, and decided to take a test, and low and behold there were 2 lines on that pretty little stick! haha.. I kept trying to wake Joe up, but he just wanted to sleep.. both my mom and my friend Misty had called me that morning.. it killed me not to share my excitement with them, but I knew I had to let Joe know first! So finally Joe woke up and I shared the news, I think he was in shock...

Over the next few weeks we shared the news with our families. We handed out copies of the movie 'Knocked Up' to our parents to let them know the news.

Over the next nine months, I would come to experience the worst heartburn of my life, sleepless nights, never having clothes that fit, and the unbelievable feeling of a baby kicking in the womb.

All of our doctor appointments went well, there were never any problems or issues. Around 11 weeks we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time.. that was pretty unbelievable, it was proof that there was a little miracle in the making! At 20 weeks we had our ultrasound, and chose to find out the sex of the baby. I was sure I was having a baby girl, but everyone had convinced me otherwise... so, I went in prepared to hear that I was having a little boy. I was overcome with joy when the U/S tech told us she thought it was a girl.. I just couldn't believe it (don't get me wrong.. I would have been just as excited if I was told it was a boy). I remember after we left our appointment we were driving up to my Dad's house and I just couldn't stop staring at my ultrasound pics... I was so in love with our baby girl!! I remember I kept asking Joe "What are we going to do with a baby girl??" I was in complete shock!

The scariest thing that happened to me while I was pregnant was when I was 28 weeks along I fainted in the shower.. which turned out to be no big deal, but we learned that only after we sat in the ER for 5 hours.

I enjoyed every second of being pregnant, it was such a magical time!

Joe and I went back and forth with choosing a name... Everything that I suggested, Joe hated.. and everything that he suggested, I hated! We had decided a few years earlier though on a drunken night that when we had kids they would be named Cameron and Kara. One day at work I emailed Joe and asked.. if we name the baby Kara, what will her middle name be? Joe suggested Kara Elise.. and I emailed back and said that I had thought the same thing, but I didn't think that he would like it, he then told me that he didn't think that I was going to like it.. and from that point on she was Kara Elise.

The last few weeks of my pregnancy were uncomfortable... I took lots of baths at 1 in the morning.. the uncomfortableness, heartburn and lack of sleep must be your body's way of preparing you for life with a newborn :) Even with all that, I wouldn't change one thing.. I love it all!!

My due date of July 27th came and went.. and still no baby. I had a dr appointment on Monday, July 28th and my induction was scheduled for the following Monday.. August 4th. This was a huge relief.. I finally knew that I would meet my baby girl in the next week! I decided that Wednesday, July 30th would be my last day of work.. that gave me Thursday-Sunday to get everything ready! But, Kara had other plans! My water broke on Thursday, July 31st and Kara would be here within the next 24 hours.... but, you are going to have to check out my birth story for that!

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard your story about giving your families a copy of Knocked up to let them know. That's so funny! Love the new blog :) Thanks for sharing.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww.. thanks Suzanne! Knocked up is like one of my favorite movies, so I thought it was the perfect way to share our news! It took my mom FOREVER to catch onto what we were trying to tell her! Joe's mom caught on instantly!

    ReplyDelete