Friday, May 14, 2010

Generosity Goes A Long Way.

We all know that times are tough right now.  But I would like to believe that if I were in a situation where I needed to depend on the generosity of others that my family and friends would help pull me through.

I have always loved being generous, and doing things to help others... I love the feeling I get when I know I have done something that will help someone, or affect someones life in a positive way.

A high school friend of mine posted on facebook that they were having a benefit for her husband's parents.  When I read the story I knew that I needed to donate something for the silent auction, I knew that I wanted to help them raise some money...You can find their story here.  When I contacted my friend she was so excited and in shock of all of the people who were coming forward and donating money, or items, or whatever they could to help.

It wasn't my own personal generosity that made me feel so good though, it was the generosity of a co-worker.  I was talking crafts with this co-worker and I had mentioned that I made a new bag that I was donating for a silent auction - I told her a little about the story of my friend's in-laws - I also mentioned that I had planned on filling the bag with stuff from Bath and Body works, but then balanced my check book and realized I was broke, so I was only going to be able to donate the bag.  After a few more minutes of chit-chat I headed back to my desk... a few minutes after that my co-worker stopped by my desk, handed me some cash, and told me to fill the bag.  I was in shock!!  I could not believe that she was coming forward to help out someone that she had never even met, heck, she doesn't even know their names.

 It just goes to show that people do care, and people do listen, and people are affected by the stories we tell. Always remember that people are listening, and people will be there when you need them.  Don't be afraid to ask for help, or offer help to others!  We all need a little more love in our lives, and the positive affect of helping others is just too great to ignore!  

I hope the benefit is very successful and raises lots of money for my friends in-laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment